What type of coverage is needed? How to choose the right travel insurer?
In an effort to reactivate the country’s economy and maintain a controlled risk of infections due to COVID-19, Costa Rica established new entry requirements.
Travelers are required to complete Costa Rica’s electronic Health Pass and purchase COVID travel insurance to enter the country.
**UPDATE* Important update (February 23, 2022)* Starting April 1, the online Health Pass form needed to enter Costa Rica and the requirement to pay for medical insurance for unvaccinated foreigners will no longer be required for foreign visitors.
All activities and events will be able to operate at 100% capacity without requesting proof of vaccination status. The use of a facemask will stay in place until further notice.
Until March 7th, all visitors will still be required to complete the electronic Health Pass before arrival. Tourists who are fully vaccinated and individuals aged 18 and younger (even if unvaccinated) can enter the country without a travel policy. Unvaccinated individuals aged 18 and older must purchase a travel policy.
Although the travel restrictions will be lifted in April, it is recommended to all tourists acquire an insurance policy, broad enough, that covers medical expenses and extended stay by quarantine, in the event of an eventual contagion of Covid-19.
Requirements to enter Costa Rica until March 7th:
• Complete the digital epidemiological form “Health Pass”
This form asks for information on travel plans and requests proof of travel insurance. This should be completed 72 hours before arriving in Cosa Rica.
It generates a QR code that you must show upon arrival; some airlines ask for it at check-in.
• Purchase travel insurance
This can be either from an international company or purchased from Costa Rican insurers. The policy must cover medical expenses or an unexpected extended hotel stay due to COVID-19 for the duration of your stay in Cosa Rica.
Travel insurance requirements
• Policy must be valid for the entire stay of your visit
• If purchasing international travel insurance, the policy must cover medical expenses related to COVID of at least USD$50,000
• If purchasing from a Costa Rica insurer, the policy must cover medical expenses related to COVID for at least USD$20,000
• Policy must include coverage of USD $2,000 for extended lodging expenses due to the pandemic
• Visitors will be required to submit insurance information online by filling out the epidemiological form.
• If the visitor has a foreign policy, they must upload a PDF for validation in English or Spanish
• If the visitor has from a local insurer, they can type the policy number into the form for validation
For pricing of valid travel insurance that meets the entry requirements Click Here
Vaccination Proof requirements :
• Acceptable vaccines: Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, or Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)Sinovac, Sinopharm, and Covaxin.
• Fully vaccinated with two doses, except for the Janssen which is one dose.
• The last dose must have been administered at least 14 days before entering Costa Rica.
• The schemes adopted by international health authorities that combine vaccines from different pharmaceutical companies will be considered a complete vaccination scheme
• Cases in which the traveler receives a single dose after having been diagnosed with the SARS-CoV-2 virus will be considered fully vaccinated
• Proof must be demonstrated with a document that includes the person’s full name, date of each dose, formula, and lot number.
• For U.S. visitors Covid-19 vaccination record card will be required as proof
• Tourists who have a medical condition, duly accredited, that makes it impossible to apply any vaccine are except, however, travel medical insurance will still be required
• All visitors must complete the digital epidemiological form “Health Pass”
• Tourists who have a medical condition, duly accredited, that makes it impossible to apply any vaccine approved by the Ministry of Health of Costa Rica
• Travel insurance will continue to be required for unvaccinated adults that are planning to visit Costa Rica.
What travel insurance offers COVID coverage?
Most travel insurance policies are designed to cover both you and the cost of your travel arrangements against a variety of unforeseeable reasons that may affect you or your travel plans.
These plans will cover you for trip cancellation or interruption; medical emergencies; baggage (loss, damage, or delay) or travel delay, and much more.
Regular travel policies do not cover you:
1. If you decide not to travel due to the fear
2. If the area you are planning to visit gets shut down due to a second COVID-19 surge.
3. If you travel somewhere that the State Department has deemed unsafe.
4. A pre-existing medical condition you have before your trip.
Even though your travel policy may cover most of the entry requirements established by Costa Rica, not all of them include the $2,000 minimum lodging extended stay due to COVID.
We recommend you speak with an insurance representative or review the policy documentation carefully to make sure you are meeting all the requirements before your trip.
Passengers who fail to comply with the Costa Rica entry requirements may not enter the country.
Safe Travels Voyager COVID Insurance
If you are planning to travel to Costa Rica during the pandemic, be sure to add travel medical insurance that can help with medical costs if you contract COVID-19 while traveling.
Safe Travels Voyager meets all the insurance requirements for visitors to Costa Rica. This plan offers robust coverage for COVID-19, trip cancellation, trip interruption, trip cancellation, missed connections, medical evacuation, and more. Safe Travelers Voyager is the perfect companion for any traveler to Costa Rica.
Why Safe Travels Voyager?
This well-rounded plan includes benefits for COVID-19, emergency evacuation, and more. Safe Travels Voyager meets the extended lodging requirement by offering a trip delay benefit which includes accommodation. The $2,000 ($150/day) benefit is included in the plan with the option to upgrade to $4,000 ($300/day) or $7,000 ($500/day).
Who is eligible for the Safe Travels Voyager?
U.S. residents who need trip cancellation benefits for travel within the USA and internationally.
If I cancel my trip because of the coronavirus, will it be covered? If you have “Cancel for Any Reason” coverage and you cancel your trip within the limits of your contract, you will be covered. If you are planning on taking a trip in the near future, this kind of plan is prudent in case you need to cancel your trip.
Is the plan cancelable?
You can cancel for any reason. You may cancel the insurance by giving written consent within the first to occur of the following: (a) 10 days from the effective date of your insurance; (b) Your scheduled departure date. If you do this, the company will refund your premium paid provided no claim is under the policy.
Safe Travels Voyager Coverage
-COVID-19 coverage included
-Optional Cancel for Any Reason (CFAR) benefit
-Trip Interruption and Delay insured up to 150% of trip cost
-Emergency Medical Evacuation up to $1 million
-Trip Delay coverage (including accommodation) options of $2,000, $4,000, and $7,000
What type of coverage is offered by Costa Rica travel Insurers?
There are two insurers that have been authorized by the Costa Rica government, Sagicor of Costa Rica and National Insurance Institute (INS).
Their policies are pre-approved and guaranteed to be accepted by Costa Rican authorities.
Premiums vary according to age, the number of travelers, and the days of stay in the country. Prices range from $11 to $21 per person. Coverage includes accidents, sickness including COVID-19, and lodging expenses in case of isolation, among others.
To access these Costa Rica insurers online visit Sagicor or INS for purchase.
For any questions about the insurance policy requirements or to verify if your policy meets the requirements, email the Tourism Board at email@example.com
Costa Rica Dream Adventures COVID-19 related cancelation policies:
In the event that passengers are forced to cancel their trip for reasons related to Covid-19 such as border closures in both the United States and/or Costa Rica that prevent them from flying, or in the eventuality that they become ill with COVID-19 that prevent them from leaving their place of residence (positive lab test and medical report is required), travel dates may be changed without any penalty up to 24 hours prior to the scheduled arrival date Costa Rica. A voucher with the total value of the trip will be issued and will be valid for one year from the time the voucher was issued. Terms of Travel
Due to these uncertain times, Costa Rica Dream Adventures strongly recommends getting travel insurance, and if possible, canceling for any reason benefits to enjoy stress-free vacation planning.
If you choose Costa Rica Dream Adventures as your trip planner, we will make sure your vacation complies with all the requirements needed.
All we want for you is to enjoy a stress-free vacation!
Your safety is important to us. Explore our vacation protocols that go accordingly to the Costa Rica government and CDC guidelines.