Costa Rica announced the reopening of its border to all foreign visitors on November 1st,2020.
The country began the first phase of its reopening on August 1st after almost 5 months of closure due to the pandemic. Since that day, the country has seen an increase in foreign tourists, according to data from the Tourism Board (ICT).
**UPDATE* Important update (February 23, 2022)* Starting April 1, the online Health Pass form needed to enter Costa Rica and the requirement to pay for medical insurance for unvaccinated foreigners will no longer be required to foreign visitors. However, it is recommended to all tourists to acquire an insurance policy, broad enough, that covers medical expenses and extended stay by quarantine, in the event of an eventual contagion of Covid-19.
All activities and events will be able to operate at 100% capacity without requesting proof of vaccination status. Although the health measures will undergo some changes, the use of a facemask will stay in place until further notice.
Until March 7th, all visitors will still be required to complete the electronic Health Pass before arrival.
Tourists who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and individuals aged 18 and younger (even if unvaccinated) can enter the country without a travel policy. The last dose of the vaccine must have been applied at least 14 days prior to arrival in Costa Rica. Vaccinated tourists must attach their vaccination certificate to the Health Pass.
Unvaccinated individuals aged 18 and older must purchase a travel policy with a duration equal to the period of stay in the country, with the exception of passengers in transit, whose minimum validity is five days that covers, at least, medical expenses generated by Covid-19 and lodging expenses due to quarantine.
If you are planning to visit Costa Rica soon, here is what you need to know:
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS UNTIL MARCH 7:
• Travelers must complete an epidemiological survey
• Travel insurance that covers medical care or an unexpected extended hotel stay due to COVID-19 is required for nonvaccinated travelers. This policy can be international or purchased from Costa Rican insurers.
• Travelers opting for foreign travel insurance must demonstrate proof that their policy is valid for their visit to Costa Rica; covers medical expenses for at least $50,000 and a minimum of $2,000 for extended stay expenses. For more details about the type of coverage needed click here
Click here for Travel Insurance prices
• COVID negative test or quarantine upon arrival is not required to enter the country but proof of vaccination for visitors 18 years old or older is necessary to enter public places.
• Minors and individuals that are 18 years old and younger (even if unvaccinated) can enter the country without a travel policy.
• Starting January 8th, 2022, hotels and public places will require proof of vaccination to all visitors, including international tourists. Minors that are 18 years old or under are exempt from this requirement until February 1st, 2022. Tourists will use the QR code provided when completing the health pass form for entry or show a physical vaccine card issued abroad to demonstrate their full vaccination status.
• Face coverings or face shields in all indoor circumstances. The only exceptions are at restaurants and all open-air tourism activities.
COSTA RICA VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS FOR VISITORSUNTIL MARCH 7:
• Acceptable vaccines: Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca, or Janssen (Johnson & Johnson)Sinovac, Sinopharm, and Covaxin.
• Fully vaccinated with two doses, except for the Janssen that is one dose.
• The last dose must have been administered at least 14 days before entering Costa Rica.
• The schemes adopted by international health authorities that combine vaccines from different pharmaceutical companies will be considered a complete vaccination scheme
• Cases in which the traveler receives a single dose after having been diagnosed with the SARS-CoV-2 virus will be considered fully vaccinated
• Proof must be demonstrated with a document that includes the person’s full name, date of each dose, formula, and lot number.
• For U.S. visitors Covid-19 vaccination record card will be required as proof
• Tourists who have a medical condition, duly accredited, that make it impossible to apply any vaccine are except, however, travel medical insurance will still be required
• Minors that are 17 years old or under will not be required to present proof of vaccination (until February 1st, 2022)
• All visitors must complete the digital epidemiological form “Health Pass”
• Tourists who have a medical condition, duly accredited, that make it impossible to apply any vaccine approved by the Ministry of Health of Costa Rica
• Travel insurance will continue to be required for unvaccinated adults that are planning to visit Costa Rica.
• Travel insurance will continue to be required for unvaccinated adults are visiting Costa Rica.
As of March 7:
• Vehicle restrictions are eliminated
• The voluntary proof of vaccination status continues for stores, restaurants, bars, cinemas, theaters, and social events are maintained.
• For nightclubs, the capacity can be 100% when requesting proof of vaccination and 50% without requesting proof of vaccination.
As of April 1
• For all tourists coming to Costa Rica, the health pass and the insurance requirement for unvaccinated foreigners will be eliminated
• All activities and events will be able to operate at 100% capacity without requiring to show vaccination status
• The use of a facemask will stay in place until further notice
- 6 Things To Know Before Visiting Costa Rica –Learn More
WHERE TO GET THE COVID TEST IN COSTA RICA
If you plan to travel internationally, all travelers (including US citizens and transit passengers) must present a negative COVID-19 viral test no more than 1 day before you travel by air into the United States. A negative test must be shown to the airlines before boarding your flight. The requirement applies to all air passengers, 2 years of age or older, traveling into the US.
Many private laboratories and hospitals in Costa Rica offer the PCR and Antigen COVID test for a fee. The majority guarantee results within 24 hours.
Costs are similar to the United States and range from $65-$100 depending on the location where the travelers are located.
When you travel with Costa Rica Dream Adventures, you do not travel alone. We assist our clients in providing ahead of time all the information needed on when and where to get tested to avoid any type of stress during their vacation.
For more information on the laboratories that offer the antigen, COVID test click here
VACATION PLANNING FOR 2022
Travelers nowadays are seeking more flexible policies to embark themselves into a new way of traveling during COVID-19. Great pricing and the possibility of shifting travel plans without penalties are what people are searching for to get their longed-for vacation.
Costa Rica Dream Adventures (CRDA) understands that it’s no longer easy to decide on the best destination, While travel restrictions begin to ease, seeking new adventures that reconnect you with nature will be among the top vacation ideas among travelers.
Anticipating a dream vacation today could be highly beneficial. You can secure your vacation with just a $100 deposit and pay the final amount 35 days before departure. Monthly installment payment plans are also available.
All Costa Rica Dream Adventures Vacation Packages are fully customizable. CRDA has a second office in San Jose, Costa Rica that offers 24/7 in-country travel assistance. Travelers can feel safe knowing that there will always be someone to reach out to for in-country travel assistance.
Find balance, reconnect with nature, relax on the beach, Costa Rica will welcome you with open arms and the warmth and kindness of our people.
Ask Us on Social Media
Have a travel question? Reach us out via Facebook–Twitter and we will answer your questions!
We’re ready when you are!