Costa Rica announced the reopening of its border to all foreign visitors starting on November 1st,2020.
The country began the first phase of its reopening on August 1st after almost 5 months of closure due to the pandemic. Since that day, the country has seen an increase in foreign tourists, according to data from the Tourism Board (ICT).
In November 2020, Costa Rica welcomed 36,044 people. The figure represented more than a threefold increase over October. Nearly 70% of the November visitors (24,606 people) came from the United States.
According to health authorities in Costa Rica, no COVID-19 cases have been associated with foreign tourists.
Since its first reported case on March 6th, 2020, Costa Rica, a country of 5 million people, has 176,000 confirmed cases; 135,000 people have recovered so far, and there have been 2,286 deaths as of January 8th, 2021. See daily statistics
In order to visit the Central American county and to maintain a low risk of infections due to coronavirus, Costa Rica established new entry requirements for all foreign visitors.
• Travelers must complete an epidemiological survey
• Travel insurance that covers medical care or an unexpected extended hotel stay due to COVID-19. This policy can be international or purchased from Costa Rican insurers.
• Travelers opting for foreign travel insurance must demonstrate proof that their policy is valid for their visit to Costa Rica; covers medical expenses for at least $50,000 and a minimum of $2,000 for extended stay expenses. For more details about the type of coverage needed click here
• Tourists must follow all airport and local health protocols.
• Face coverings or face shields in all indoor circumstances. The only exceptions are at restaurants and all open-air tourism activities.
• Currently, Costa Rica is not planning to mandate proof of coronavirus vaccine as a requirement for entry.
Step by step demonstration of how to purchase Costa Rica travel insurance online through Sagicor and how to fill out the electronic “Health Pass” form.
• Mandatory use of face masks or face shields
• Social distancing. Markers will encourage proper distancing in all areas
• Thermal scans upon arrival. At least five cameras will take the temperature of the visitors on their way to the immigration area.
• Passengers must complete an Epidemiological form
• Disinfected carpets installed at the entrances and sanitized every 3 hours
• Hand Sanitizer Stations will be available to all travelers at ticket counters, immigration checkpoints, and other parts of the airport
• Clear barriers will separate passengers from the ticket counters, customs, and payment points.
• Cleaning will be reinforced in the terminal, as well as in common areas.
• Only traveling passengers will be allowed to enter the airport
• Boarding will be conducted in small groups, from the back of the plane to the front.
- 6 Things To Know Before Visiting Costa Rica –Learn More
Here’s the latest information for airlines that are offering flights to/from Juan Santamaría International Airport provided by Aeris.
Nineteen of the 29 airlines that served Costa Rica before the pandemic have resumed service. Some, like United Airlines and JetBlue, have inaugurated new routes from North America.
What airlines are flying to and from Costa Rica:
For the latest Costa Rica flight information and airlines resuming operations Click Here
Costa Rica received the Safe Travels Stamp from the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) due to the implementation of 16 sanitary protocols for tourism activities.
The specially designed stamp allows travelers to recognize governments and companies around the world which have adopted health and hygiene global standardized protocols for travelers to experience ‘Safe Travels’.
WHERE TO GET THE COVID TEST IN COSTA RICA
Starting on January 26th, United States is requiring all international travelers to show a negative COVID-19 test prior to arrival in the country, regardless of vaccination status.
• PCR test must be taken within 72 hours of departure
• Proof of negative COVID test must be shown to the airline before boarding
• The requirement applies to all air passengers, 2 years of age or older, traveling into the US
Many private laboratories and hospitals in Costa Rica offer the PCR COVID test for a fee. The majority guarantee results within 48 hours.
Costs are similar to the United States and range from $100-$150 depending on the location where the travelers are located.
When you travel with Costa Rica Dream Adventures, you do not travel alone.
We assist our clients in making all the arrangements to get tested in the comfort of their hotel and guarantee the results within 48 hours. An appointment is required. Our representatives will assist you in collecting the information needed to schedule your appointment.
Information needed for COVID test appointment:
• Fill out the health ministry form before taking the test Click Here The form is in Spanish and Cost Rica Dream Adventures will be assisting you in filling out the form
• Full name, passport number, copy of the three first pages of your passport, date of birth, e-mail, and WhatsApp number
• The results will be emailed to you within 48 hours
• You can also make an appointment by calling or via WhatsApp or Facebook. It’s easier to find English speaking staff.
• The resorts are also offering the service of scheduling an appointment and do the test at the hotel.
Some of these hospitals and labs have locations in different cities. Some of these providers offer the option of performing the test at the hotel or vacation property travelers are staying at.
Please know that some locations also offering drive-through testing.
(San Jose/Liberia/Tamarindo/Conchal/Langosta/Portero/Quepos/Manuel Antonio)
Hospital La Católica (San Jose)
Cima Hospital (San Jose)
Hospital Clinica Biblica (San Jose)
Hospital San Rafael Arcangel (Liberia)
Labin Laboratories (San Jose)
Lab Echandi (San Jose/La Fortuna)
Unimed Urgent Care (La Fortuna)
Clinica Mision Medica – MMI (Jaco)
Paez Laboratoties (Liberia)
VACATION PLANNING FOR 2021
Travelers nowadays are seeking more flexible policies to embark themselves into a new way of traveling during COVID-19. Great pricing and the possibility of shifting travel plans without penalties are what people are searching for to get their longed-for vacation.
Costa Rica Dream Adventures (CRDA) understands that it’s no longer easy to decide on the best destination, While travel restrictions begin to ease, seeking new adventures that reconnect you with nature will be among the top vacation ideas among travelers.
Anticipating a dream vacation today could be highly beneficial. Planning a trip to Costa Rica is a short 3 to 5-hour flight from the U.S.
CRDA, U.S. based Tour Operator that sells exclusively custom Costa Rica vacations, is offering NO CHANGE FEES on all their travel packages. Travelers can change their travel dates up to 30 days before departure.
Payment plans have also changed! Clients will have the option of submitting a $99 deposit to secure their vacation and pay the final balance due 35 days before departure. Monthly installment payment plans are also available.
All Costa Rica Dream Adventures Vacation Packages are fully customizable, and 2021 rates are now available for future travel plans. CRDA has a second office in San Jose, Costa Rica that offers 24/7 in-country travel assistance. Travelers can feel safe knowing that there will always be someone to reach out to for in-country travel assistance.
Without a doubt, Costa Rica is a great destination to visit after the crisis. Find balance, reconnect with nature, relax on the beach, Costa Rica will welcome you with open arms and the warmth and kindness of our people.
Ask Us on Social Media
We’re ready when you are!